Friday, 22 January 2010

Whistle-blower policy set to be used in more agencies


PORT KLANG: Informants have been assured of protection under the whistle-blowing policy launched by Transport Minister Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat for the Port Klang Authority (PKA).
Ong said he hoped the people would come forward to offer information on malpractices, misuse of power or corruption without fear of reprisals with the policy in place.
“We will implement the policy first with PKA and this will be followed by other port authorities,” he said after launching the policy aimed at ensuring good governance and transparency for the PKA and Port Klang Free Zone Sdn Bhd, the operator of the Port Klang Free Zone (PKFZ) yesterday.
Independent members: Ong (right) presenting a letter of appointment to Nik Mohd. Looking on (from left) are Ng, Transparency International Malaysia president Datuk Paul Low and PKA chairman Datuk Lee Hwa Beng.
Informants are encouraged to lodge complaints or offer details on fraud to the Whistle-Blower Committee set up by the PKA or via the website www.wbs.pka.gov.my.
The whistle-blowing policy will be extended to other agencies under the purview of the Transport Ministry soon.
Besides the policy, other measures would be implemented by the PKA to help the port authority re-establish its image and credibility, said Ong.
The policy was one of the proposals made by the PKA’s ad hoc committee on corporate governance chaired by Transparency International Malaysia president Datuk Paul Low Seng Kuan.
“The policy gives protection to the provider of information and, as such, I hope the people will come forward without fear of reprisals over their action,” Ong said.
Ong also announced the appointment of Datuk Ng Mann Cheong and Nik Mohd Hasyudein Yusuff as independent board members of the PKA. The other independent board member appointed earlier was Datuk M. Rajasingam.
Ong wanted board of directors of all port authorities under the ministry to have independent directors making up one-third of the board as soon as possible.
The ministry sent circulars on the directive to the port authorities in December last year.
“We are serious about it, we walk the talk,” he said.
As reported by the Star, 22 January 2010
Post a Comment